The Minamata Convention on Mercur
The Minamata Convention on Mercury establishes, under its article 15, an Implementation and Compliance Committee as a subsidiary body of the Conference of the Parties. The objective of the Committee is to promote the implementation of, and review compliance with, all the provisions of the Convention.
At its first meeting, the Conference of the Parties to the Minamata Convention elected the first members to serve on the Implementation and Compliance Committee (Decision MC-1/7). The current members are:
- For Africa: Hanitriniaina Liliane Randrianomenjanahary (Madagascar); Mohamed Abdoulai Kamara (Sierra Leone); and Bianca Hlob’sile Dlamini (Eswatini)
- For Asia and the Pacific: Haijun Chen (China), who has replaced Wang Qian (China); Heidar Ali Balouji (Islamic Republic of Iran) and Anura Jayatilake (Sri Lanka)
- For Central and Eastern Europe: Silvija Nora Kalniņš (Latvia), who has replaced Boyko Malinov (Bulgaria); Svetlana Bolocan (Moldova), who has replaced Inga Podoroghin (Moldova) and Claudia Sorina Dumitru (Romania)
- For Latin America and the Caribbean; Diego Henrique Costa Pereira (Brazil), José Antonio Piedra Montoya (Ecuador), and Ana Corallo (Argentina), who has replaced Alejandra Acosta (Argentina)
- For Western Europe and Others: Janine van Aalst (Netherlands), Mark Govoni (Switzerland) and Gene Smilansky (United States of America), who has replaced Jennifer Landsidle (United States of America).
The first members of the Committee will serve from the end of the first ordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties until the end of the third ordinary meeting of the Conference of the Parties. At its third ordinary meeting, the Conference of the Parties shall re-elect 10 members from among the first members of the Committee for one term, and elect 5 new members for two terms. The Conference of the Parties shall, at each ordinary meeting thereafter, elect for two terms new members to replace those members whose period of office is about to expire.