Opening Session EU-Africa Business Forum
The European Development Days (EDD) 2017
EU-Africa Business Forum- EDD17
- Africa’s population will double to 2.4 billion by 2050. This demographic boom is driving domestic demand and creating great supply-side opportunities.
- Sub-Saharan Africa needs to create 18 million new jobs a year. Investing in SMEs and entrepreneurs is the key to success.
- Banks and investors need to re-evaluate their perceptions of risk in Africa and make working capital more easily available to entrepreneurs. Angel investment is currently non-existent.
- Education is vital, not only in schools, but lifelong learning in technical, managerial and financial skills. Africa should make use of online learning tools, focusing on women and girls.
- Governments must reduce the risks for investment through better infrastructure, legal certainty, fair rules, anti-corruption measures, tax breaks and blended finance.
The European Commission
Pierre GuislainVice-President for Private Sector, Infrastructure and IndustrializationAfrican Development Bank
H.E Quartery Thomas KwesiDeputy ChairpersonAfrican Union Commission
Neven MimicaCommissioner for International Cooperation and DevelopmentEuropean Commission
Vimal ShahCEOBIDCO Africa
Rebecca StromeyerFoundereLearning Africa
ModeratorChris BishopManaging Editor of Forbes Africa Managing EditorForbes Africa
Mohammed DewijCEOMeTL Group
Ambroise FayolleVice PresidentEuropean Investment Bank
Pierre GattazPresidentMEDEF - French Business Confederation